There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Nat. Brut (pr. nat broot) is an online journal of art and literature dedicated to advancing inclusivity in all creative fields. Since we’re committed to creating a platform for voices that are typically marginalized from mainstream literary/arts consumption, we favor submissions from women, people with disabilities, people of color, and/or LGBTQ-identifying folks, although we do accept submissions from every demographic.
- WHAT IS NAT. BRUT
- HOW WE NAT. BRUT
Please be familiar with the magazine and read the information below before you submit.
Please Note: Beginning in 2016, Nat. Brut will no longer release biannual print issues. We will, however, publish content regularly online. Work accepted for publication online will be considered for publication in any future Nat. Brut print anthology.
We hold rolling expedited submissions 8 months out of the year for a $4 fee, which guarantees a response within six weeks (all submissions are closed during June-July and December-January). This contribution goes entirely toward operation costs for the magazine and its projects.
If you cannot afford or are otherwise unable to pay the expedited fee, we understand! Please feel free to contact us directly at email@example.com! If you would simply prefer not to pay a fee, we hold free open submissions during the months of March and September. We aim to have a turn-around time of 3 months for all open submissions.
Please know that while Fractured Atlas is our fiscal sponsor — meaning that they lend us 501(c)3 tax-exempt status — we are financially and editorially independent. The only funds we have are those we raise ourselves, and we truly appreciate your support.
General submission guidelines:
- We currently accept submissions of fiction and poetry. Please be familiar with the guidelines for each category before submitting.
- We do not currently accept submissions of visual art, video art, video poetry, or animation, but those interested in submitting comics work or pitches may email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We also commission one guest editor per issue to curate a folio, which is a themed collection of between 12-15 pieces around a given editor's topic of choice. Folios are designed to be narrow to highlight intersections of experiences that may not be as apparent in general submissions. Folios are solicited and open to general submissions, to the discretion of the folio editor. Submissions for Kayla E. & Laura B.'s Fall 2017 folio, Another Closet, have closed, but we are happy to answer any inquiries about the project via email in the meantime! Look out for announcements regarding our Spring 2018 Folio later this year!
- We do not accept or respond to emailed poetry or prose submissions, except under the circumstance that the submitter is unable to pay the expedited submission fee.
- Please send only work that is previously unpublished. We do accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know in your cover letter and be sure to withdraw your piece promptly if it’s accepted elsewhere.
- We acquire first serial rights worldwide in English and non-exclusive anthology rights.
- Along with your brief cover letter and bio, we'd love to know how you came across Nat. Brut!
Please note that, unfortunately, Nat. Brut does not have the resources to pay writers and artists at this time.
If you submit to Nat. Brut, we assume that you're interested in what we're doing, so we hope you don't mind if we add you to our email newsletter list!
Please direct all inquiries and comments to email@example.com.