There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Nat. Brut (pr. nat broot) is an online journal of art and literature dedicated to advancing inclusivity in all creative fields. Since we’re committed to creating a platform for voices that are typically marginalized from mainstream literary/arts consumption, we encourage submissions from women, people with disabilities, people of color, and/or LGBTQ-identifying folks, although we do accept submissions from every demographic.
- WHAT IS NAT. BRUT
- HOW WE NAT. BRUT
Please be familiar with the magazine and read the information below before you submit.
We hold Expedited Fiction and Poetry Submissions during the months of March and October for a $4 fee, which guarantees a response within 6 weeks and goes entirely toward operation costs for the magazine and its projects.
If you cannot afford or are otherwise unable to pay the expedited fee, we understand! We simultaneously hold Free Open Fiction and Poetry Submissions during the months of March and October. We aim to have a turn-around time of 12 weeks for all Open Submissions.
General submission guidelines:
- We DO accept submissions of fiction and poetry through Submittable. Please be familiar with the guidelines for each category before submitting.
- We DO NOT accept or respond to emailed poetry or fiction submissions.
- We DO accept emailed creative nonfiction submissions and pitches; in such cases, please email email@example.com with "Nonfiction" in the subject line.
- We DO accept emailed comics work and pitches; in such cases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Comics" in the subject line.
- We DO NOT currently accept submissions of visual art, video art, video poetry, or animation.
- We also commission one guest editor per issue to curate a folio, which is a themed collection of between 12-15 pieces around a given editor's topic of choice. Folios are designed to be narrow to highlight intersections of experiences that may not be as apparent in general submissions. Folios are solicited and open to general submissions, to the discretion of the folio editor. Stay Tuned for information about our 2018 Spring Folio!
- Please send only work that is previously unpublished. We do accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know in your cover letter and be sure to withdraw your piece promptly if it’s accepted elsewhere.
- Along with your brief cover letter and bio, we'd love to know how you came across Nat. Brut!
For information about your rights as an author, please visit our Rights page.
Please Note: Nat. Brut no longer releases biannual print issues. We do, however, publish content regularly online. Work accepted for publication online will be considered for publication in any future Nat. Brut print anthology.
Also, please know that while Fractured Atlas is our fiscal sponsor — meaning that they lend us 501(c)3 tax-exempt status — we are financially and editorially independent and are run by a staff of volunteers. The only funds we have are those we raise ourselves, and we truly appreciate your support. This means that, unfortunately, we do not currently have the resources to pay writers and artists, though we very much hope this changes in the future.
If you submit to Nat. Brut, we assume that you're interested in what we're doing, so we hope you don't mind if we add you to our email newsletter list!
Please direct all inquiries and comments to email@example.com.